Crusaders claim a victory in a very close encounter at Robin Park

Match Report: Crusaders claim a 2-point victory following an extremely close encounter with Wigan Warriors 'A'.


  • Lucie Roberts made a triumphant return as she made her first appearance of the year.

  • North Wales Crusaders claim a victory in a repeat of last years Championship Grand Final.

  • A failed 80th minute conversion attempt by the Warriors secured the Crusaders the victory in a very nervy encounter.

The first period saw both sides exchanging sets, but it was the defences that came out on top. This was to set the theme for the majority of the half, as we were on the verge of going a full 40 minutes without a score.

However, in the dying seconds, a Crusaders attack close to the Wigan line saw Lucie Roberts latch on to an inside pass by Harry Jones to cross for the first score. A missed conversion left it at 4-0 at the break.

In the early minutes of the first half, the Crusaders had an opportunity to extend their lead to 6-points following a penalty. However, the kick by Baker fell short, putting the Crusaders back on the backfoot.

This missed penalty was costly as the Warriors levelled the score in the very next attack, a passing move by the home team was finished off by Harry Heggie, the son of Wigan first teamer and ex-England international, Jack.

Warriors would then go on to take the lead as Dutson took a strong carry into the Crusaders final third and crossed, taking it to 8-4 in favour of the home side.

This lit a short fire light under the Crusaders as they were the next team to go back-to-back in scoring.

First off saw Martin Turner, fresh off his historical London Marathon push barge his way over from close range with his son, Matthew adding the extra.

Next up was the turn of Harry Jones as he broke the line on the final tackle, put through a little grubber kick as the defenders closed and was able to collect the ball and ground it. However his conversion attempt went wide, taking the score to 14-8.

This was a thrilling battle for the onlooking spectators and the score was soon to be level again. Following on from his assist versus Leeds last time out, Ord was able to offload the ball to the supporting Dutson who doubled his try scoring tally. Making sure this time, Burton-Carter slotted the ball between the uprights and made it 14-14.

Not to be outdone, NWC hit straight back when Jakub Wasieczko charged his way through the middle and put his side back in front. Extending the lead further, Mason Baker added the additional 2 points from the tee.

Taking it right to the wire, Burton-Carter capped off his Wigan debut with a try as he was able to hit a hole out wide and cross the try line. With seconds left on the clock, a successful conversion would have levelled it once again, however, the ball drifted to the left of the posts and the score finished 20-18 to the Crusaders

NORTH WALES CRUSADERS: Mason Baker, Lucie Roberts, Martin Turner, Harry Jones, Matthew Turner

INTERCHANGES: Kieren Barlow, Wyatt Jones, Jess Booth, Jakub Wasieczko, Ethan Neilson

Tries: Roberts, Mar Turner, H. Jones, Wasieczko

Goals: Baker 1/2, Mar. Turner 0/1, Mat Turner 1/1, H. Jones 0/1

    WIGAN WARRIORS 'A': Reece Duddle, Wesley Thomason, Tom Welch, Danny Dutson, Toby Burton Carter

    INTERCHANGES: Leila Hamrang, Harry Heggie, Oliver Steele, Billy Ord, Stephen riley, Jordan Burns

    Tries: Heggie, Dutson x2, Burton Carter

    Goals: Burton-Carter 1/4

    North Wales Crusaders Player of the Match: Harry Jones

    Wigan Warriors 'A' Player of the Match: Tom Welch

    Referees: Grant Jackson, John McMullen