QUICK RULES OF THE GAME
Physical Disability Rugby League (PDRL) is an inclusive sport played by anyone. The rules are the same as the running game with slight adaptations
- Pitch - It is played on a surface normally 50 x 100 meters a game lasts for 50 minutes 2 x 25 min halfs
- Ball - A size 4
- Kicking – Kicks shall be allowed only after the fifth tackle. Kicks, in general play, must be taken only by a player with a Physical Disability.
- 9 players on each side. Only 2 able bodied players allowed on the pitch at any one time
- Tackling - a tackle is performed by touch on a player in RED shorts otherwise as per international rules
- Play the ball – A player’s foot does not have to come into contact with the ball during a play-the-ball. Players will be allowed to roll the ball back between their legs without penalty.
- Scoring a try - As per international rules of the game
- Conversions - As per international rules of the game
- Drop Goals - Are Not allowed
- Penalties – Kicks at goal are NOT allowed
- Restarts – After a conversion attempt, with a tap at the centre of the halfway line. (So, the team that had just conceded a try will have possession).
- Goal Line Drop Out - Should a drop out bounce into touch, play will re-start with a play-the-ball by the non-kicking team 10m in from the touchline opposite where the ball entered touch.
- Touch and Touch in-Goal - As per international rules of the game
- Knock-on and Forward Pass - A knock-on will not result in a scrum. The player who has knocked on will re-gather the ball and return to the location of the knock-on. The player will play-the-ball and play will continue. A knock-on will count as one tackle. A knock-on after the completion of the fifth tackle shall result in a handover. A forward pass will result in a handover to the non-offending team. The handover will take place where the pass was made.
- Marker at the Ruck – Only one marker allowed
- Physically Abled Players - The primary purpose of physically-abled players (denoted by high visibility fluoro vests) is to facilitate the progress of the game. In order to minimise the impact on the result, the physically-abled players will play subject to various restrictions.
- Not allowed to run more than 10m forward at any time without passing the ball
- Must succumb to a tackle of any player who contacts them
- Can only tackle players who have advanced beyond the Play of the Ball (except within 10m of the try line)
- Cannot score tries, kick goals or kick the ball in general play. All points are to be scored by physically disabled players
Click on the badge to download the full RLIF rule book